8 reasons why you should consider creating an explainer video for your website
1. Customer attention spans are short. You often only have seconds to capture their interest while they’re on your site. An explainer can catch their eye while telling your story in 2 minutes or less. It’s the “elevator pitch” for your product. ”According to Internet Retailer, up to 85% of people are more likely to buy a product if they first saw an explainer video. This helped Rypple (who recently sold to SalesForce) increase conversion rates by 20%. CrazyEgg added an explainer video to their homepage and increased conversion rates by 64%!”
2. A picture is worth a thousand words. Why spell something out with paragraphs of text when you can show them? Online users demand visual content–design, animation and graphs can be far more effective and engaging when it comes to getting ideas across. Pictures can also be more universal and explainer videos can sometimes help bridge language barriers. Today’s consumers often skip large sections of text and have greater recall when it comes to remembering visual content.
3. Personalize your company or product with your story. Connecting to a customer through an engaging narrative is the easiest way to make both a sale and a memorable impression. A well crafted story can help distinguish you from competitors and help establish brand loyalty
4. Explainers get to the point. By identifying and emphasizing the “pain point” for your customer and how your product can solve it, explainers do the heavy lifting of convincing your customers they’ve found the right solution to their problem.
5. Sharable! Explainer videos are already online and ready to be shared over a variety of social media sites. Making a good impression with just one customer can get them to do your advertising work for you when they “like” your link or share it with friends. The more humor you use or the better the visual design can even help your video go “viral”, increasing its spread to multiple thousands of new potential customers.
6. Demos. The easiest way to get people interested in your product is to show them how it can work and why they need it. For internet-based services and apps, it’s sometimes difficult to explain why your product is better than the competition. By showing it in action you can guarantee your potential customer won’t be walking away with the wrong idea.
7. Cost. You can get more bang for your buck by making an explainer video compared to advertising in other media forms. Explainers are great for reaching your customers on the go (with mobile), cheaper to produce and run than TV ads, and can give more information than print.
8. Visibility. Websites with video on their landing page are 50 times more likely to be ranked on Google’s first page. By getting on the front page, more people are likely to check out your site and product.
Written by Lindsay Zimmerman
Lindsay Zimmerman has 15 years of experience in both pre and post-production animation, effects, and motion graphics.